Sunday, March 14, 2010

Obama appoints Tufte to communicate economic stimulus

How do you communicate to a nation just where their $787 billion in economic stimulus tax money is going? You could publish a 10,000 page report or you could, like President Obama, appoint one of the world's foremost information graphic designers.

Edward Tufte, author of such books as Beautiful Evidence and Envisioning Information, is a statistician who turns data into a visual representation, making it far easier to communicate and understand. Tufte's response to his appointment was to say
"I'm doing this because I like accountability and transparency, and I believe in public service. And it is the complete opposite of everything else I do. Maybe I'll learn something."

This is just another example of how design thinking is adding value to businesses (and government).


Read more at Business Week's Innovation and Design blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment